Lady Que's Big Blog of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff.

Just a little corner of the net where I can hide away and exist I guess..

A little of this and a little of that- some of myself, some record of things I find interesting and helpful too.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Skyrim Bathroom 006: Nightingale Mirror

So we had this big 4' wide by 3' tall mirror over the sink. I love it, but the very edges are starting to go bad.. And it looks dated. So it needed... Dare I say it.. A Skyrim treatment. Bwahahaha. Of course it does. Did. Yes. 

See.. It's a lovely mirror.. Just needs, anchoring. Weight. Love. Nightingales. 

So I made templates:

And sketched them on 2 1/2 x 2 1/2" hemlock blocks:

Then wood burned them. 

Then stained them. 

I used 2 1/4" hemlock board  and stained it Bombay Mahogany (baseboards actually- it's got a lovely groove cut in the center backside ready perfect for my mirror hangars to fit when I mount this so I don't have to move/remove the mirror at all!):
( pieces for the door and storage unit here too)

Then, we had to figure out a hanging option, because we refuse to use liquid nails and ruin the mirror AND because I nearly cracked the wood with the picture frame bracket options -the wood was too thin or I didn't to something right :(  I was about ready to break something because my plans of a well made frame were literally beginning to splinter. 

But Hubby, glorious, brilliant, hubby.. He's my hero. He said- Command picture hanger strips.  They make them with Velcro: 

Perks here:
- I can take down the frame to wash the mirror
- I can change the sigils when I want
- It's not ruined my mirror with liquid nails!
- Each piece is separately hung so The weight is distributed in smaller bits on the mirror than one heavy frame

Any it looks cool! So much better than un-framed.:



Seriously loving this mirror frame DIY and not a drop of liquid nails in sight. The day is save thanks to the Power Puff Hubby. Duh duh du-duh-da-da-dahhhh... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!