Lady Que's Big Blog of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff.

Just a little corner of the net where I can hide away and exist I guess..

A little of this and a little of that- some of myself, some record of things I find interesting and helpful too.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Spotted Dick Recipe


Spotted Dick

Sort of a fruited cake, only I make it in cupcake tins, and it freezes brilliantly. Great way to use up old bread ;) Also, I modified my recipe- I love fruit, so I added extras to this.. tons of goodies. I hit  the bulk section at the local market and go a bit wild.

2 c bread crumbs
2 c flour
1 c butter (cold, diced)
1 c granulated sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
2 T Cinnamon
1 T vanilla
1 c Lactaid (if you use reg milk , 1/2 c or till its wet and binding)

(Heres where I change it up- add whichever you like, or all of them! I tend to go for all of them and sometimes bump up the amounts till there is just enough cake to bind the fruit.)

1/2 c  dark raisins
1/2 c golden raisins
1/2 c currants
1/2 c dried bing cherries
1/2 c dried blueberries
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c chopped dried apricots
1/2 chopped candied ginger
You can add walnuts or other nuts if you like but I go for a strictly fruited cake myself.

Use your hands, pastry cutter, or a food processor and mix together the crumbs, flour, sugar, and butter till soft and crumbly. Add baking powder, spices, and mix. Then add vanilla and milk. Now you have your batter. (You can add in a couple T of treacle or honey to change up the flavor if you like- I've done that and its wicked good too!) Now fold in all the fruit and goodies you want to add. Spoon into your greased/floured (or baker's joy sprayed) cupcake tins, and bake at 350 degrees till golden brown about 30 to 40 minutes or so. A toothpick should come out clean.

Serve warm plain or with a bit of butter. My batches of massive fruit adds make about 24.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!