Lady Que's Big Blog of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff.

Just a little corner of the net where I can hide away and exist I guess..

A little of this and a little of that- some of myself, some record of things I find interesting and helpful too.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snowed in..

I never  thought  that I would look on 6 inches or so of snow as incapacitating, but really it grinds everything here to a halt. I am spoiled I think, used to 2 or 3 feet of snow at once, good wet lake effectsnow. I am used to sheeting freezing rain, that coats the world in 2 inches of solid ice. I am used to power outages that last days to  2 weeks, till they get the grid on line. This, this is nothing. And yet..

There was an article on NPR analyzing if WA peoples are wimps when it comes to snow..  not really I think. Mostly because they simply don't really have the experience with it that we do- in 5 years here, there has been less snow cumulatively than in half a season back in the upper midwest. This is bupkiss, nothing, puny. But for WA, it's enough (well except for in the mountains, where its hellacious right now- like 2 feet in 48 hours or something.)

I wish we got more, but then I wish that they were better at caring for the roads here. I saw a plow once, just once, no sand, no brine, nothing. Just scraping off the snow to reveal the black ice below.. so I guess till it melts in a couple days we'll just hole up here. Not like it hasn't caused school to be cancelled completely anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!